The idea is simple. Get a group of friends together. Watch some movie you’re all familiar with. Drink every time something “typical” happens until you can no longer remember the rules or pay attention to the movie.
There’s a lot of debate about which movie is best for this sort of drinking game. But in terms of genres, the zombie movie has to be at or near the top. Here’s why:
- Zombie movies and TV shows usually have thin plots, making them perfect for drunken viewing.
- Zombie movies are full of well-known tropes.
- Getting stumbling drunk is the closest most people will ever get to being an actual zombie.
All you need is a TV, a zombie movie (high quality or cheesy), some booze, and some friends willing to drink that booze. Oh, and the rules. We can help with that.
For obvious reasons, a drinking game shouldn’t have a lot of rules that are difficult to follow. At the same time, you want to make sure there are plenty of opportunities to drink.
Also, try to avoid alcohol poisoning. That’s important.
“Official” Zombie Drinking Game Rules
Here are some general rules that will work for just about any zombie movie.
- Drink when a zombie bites someone.
- Drink when someone falls down.
- Drink when something (window, door, etc.) breaks.
- Drink when a zombie or person is killed.
- Drink Twice when a zombie is killed with an improvised weapon.
- Drink Twice when someone is shown coming back as a zombie.
- Drink Twice when a zombie wearing some sort of uniform (nurse, football player, etc.) appears.
- Finish Your Drink or Take a Shot when one of the main characters turns into a zombie.
- Opt Out if you’ve had too much. The zombies have devoured your brain.
Here are some rules to consider if you want to mix things up and/or increase drinking opportunities.
- Drink when someone makes an obviously bad decision.
- Drink when someone utters a really bad piece of dialogue.
- Drink when the camera shows a wide view of a zombie horde.
- Finish Your Drink or Take a Shot when someone is forced to kill the zombified version of a loved one.
- Finish Your Drink or Take a Shot when the power goes out.
- Guzzle as long as someone is fumbling for something essential (car keys, bullets, etc).
- Guzzle as long as the camera is focused on someone who is about to turn into a zombie.
Do we have to mention that you should exercise common sense when playing these zombie drinking games? Some zombie movies will have you drinking more than others. So have fun, but make sure everyone survives the night.
The Walking Dead
If you’re watching The Walking Dead, you can add more rules. Why? Because most fans are very familiar with the show and its tropes. Plus, it’s only one hour, so you need more drinking opportunities.
- Drink when someone says “walker.”
- Drink when Rick says something leader-ly.
- Drink when Michonne chops off a walker’s head with her katana.
- Drink when Daryl shoots something (zombie, critter, or uninfected human) with his crossbow.
- Drink when Carl grows up a little bit more (kissing a girl, killing a zombie, etc).
- Finish Your Drink or Take a Shot when one of the main characters dies. Be careful if it’s the season finale!
The quirky self-awareness of Zombieland makes it a solid option for a drinking game. Here are some Zombieland-specific rules to add to the mix:
- Drink when one of the zombie rules appears on screen.
- Drink when someone says “Twinkie.”
- Finish Your Drink or Take a Shot in honor of Bill Murray (you’ll know when).
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Dawn of the Dead remake is a fast-paced crowd-pleaser that’s perfect for watching with your zombie-loving friends.
- Drink when a zombie runs.
- Drink when one character insults another.
- Finish Your Drink or Take a Shot while the song “Down with the Sickness” plays.
Got the rules down? Now try turning your drinking game into a full-fledged zombie party.